Saturday 1 August 2009

Torres says he plays for the best club and league in the world

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres has spoken of his desire to remain at Liverpool and win trophies with he team he believes is the greatest club in the world. Revealing his desire and ambition with the club he calls home, Torres aims to put last years season, which was hindered by injury, behind him and play ever match possible.

“I want to forget all my injury problems from last season and I want to play in every single game this season – be it the league, the Champions League, the FA Cup or the League Cup,” he said to the Echo.

“Based on the quality of this squad, we can go very far and win many trophies.”

“All I want is to score more goals to help the team win more trophies.”

“Playing up front alone has its challenges but I’m used to it since my days at Atletico Madrid,” he said.

“I don’t mind playing alone or with another striker. I don’t really think about it. As a striker, you are playing for the team and what is more important is that you score goals and help your team win the game in the end.”

“I don’t think we need to sign any other players. We have already bought good players such as Glen Johnson whom I believe is a good signing for Liverpool.”

“We don’t need to buy new players to prove that we are capable of winning.”

Torres admits he’s looking forward to renewing his special partnership with Reds captain and good friend Steven Gerrard.

“Gerrard is the best player in the world and is a special friend to me,” Torres said.

“We have this special understanding between us on the field. He can read my mind and I can read his."

“He is always looking out for me on the field. Once I make a move, he will try and pass the ball to me. So far our partnership has worked very well.”

Following team mate Xabi Alonso’s desire to Leave Anfield, Torres reveals the thought has never entered his head.

“I have never thought about leaving the club,” he added.

“My team in Spain is Atletico Madrid and my team in England is Liverpool.”

Ex Red Michael Owen has recently joined arch rivals Manchester United, but the move is something he would never consider.

“I don’t think I’ll play for another English club, and definitely not Manchester United.”

“I’m a Liverpool player and I just want to do my best for the club.“I strongly believe we will win at least the league title within the next two years.”

Torres who spent six years in the Spanish top flight with Atletico Madrid, has also revealed he thinks the Premiership is the best league in the world.

"English football has an enormous following across the world, not just because of the players but because of its history, its tradition, the excitement, the capacity crowds," reports the Telegraph.

"The other leagues can learn a lot, even La Liga. Madrid have signed Kaka and Ronaldo, and Barcelona have Xavi and Messi but, really, the Premier League is way ahead."

In a summer of massive money deals and clubs spending huge amounts of money, Torres believes such frivolous spending means nothing if you don’t win trophies.

"Ten years after you stop playing you want to have medals, trophies. You may have a fantastic car and home but it's not the same."

Winning the Premier League with Liverpool would be also rank amongst his finest achievements, he said:

"Winning the league here would be like winning the European Championship with Spain last year."

The player who is about to start his third season with the Reds has settled into the city and believes he feels totally at home in Liverpool. He also has nothing but great things to say about the people, saying:

"It's because Liverpool is a working city. At the weekend people go to watch their team at Anfield and watch the best team in the country," he added. "I had a lot of offers from a lot of clubs but I was always attracted to Liverpool because of the reputation of the people from the city, the club's supporters and their history, and I wanted help make this one of the greatest clubs in the world again."

No comments:

Post a Comment